Saturday, June 16, 2007

Demo's,Concerts, Kung Fu and Sivaji

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
- 'The Second Coming' by W.B. Yeats

I've always loved that poem. Summarizes a lot of things. That said, let us begin.

Mini sent me a couple of her demo song tracks. Was awestruck. She can reach notes that heretofore I thought were only possible for Bats (those 'unspeakable giant bugs' as Calvin puts it. You know the kind I'm talking about-the flying dog like thingies...). Don't get me wrong here, what I mean is that she is one of the most talented singers I've ever come across. And absolutely gutsy too. Wish I could figure out a way to put them up here in the blog. Someday I will conquer this technology I say! Watch out technology, here I come!

That reminds me of the time in the not-too-distant past where yours truly was conned into singing. And before an audience too! (Yes.. I know, I mean how wicked can people get? And no points for asking me where my brains were, at that moment) The conspirators convinced me that I was India's answer to James Hetfield (The whole world knows that he's the guy who sings lead for Metallica, for godssake!). So in all my innocence I went up on stage with Adi on the lead guitar - this was going to be an unplugged performance that would put MTV to shame. I introduced us and three people from the audience clapped, probably out of some misplaced sense of duty. I decided that this would not do! I asked them in a loud demanding tone "Is that the best you can do?!". No response. Silence that would have put a tomb to shame. "I'm not starting till I hear some applause here!!". I was getting a little desperate here, as some of the more perceptive amongst you would have realized. Openly hostile stares and a lot of mutterings ("lets string him up by his toes" and such like..).

I immediately recalled the Kung Fu techniques that I had spent eight years learning, in the deepest reaches of Tibet, in a hidden monastery. I might have to use it here.... I thought. Let me digress here for a moment and for the first time in history, let me reveal to you the secret 'Yu Shu' Kung Fu fighting technique. And yes they do teach Kung Fu in Tibet, not only in China. It involves bending your knees, so that your butt is exactly at an angle of 83 degrees to your feet, as the first step. Not a degree more not a degree less mind you, or the effect of the stance is lost. It was not easy to master mind you, tough task masters those Tibetan monks. They'd put 'The cruel tutelage of Pai Mei' to shame ( And for those of you who don't know what it is, go watch Kill Bill). They'd make you go out and kiss a Yak as punishment, and believe you me, that can be quite unpleasant. Anyways, the next step is to screw up your face. Imagine the most embarrassing experience you've ever had, raise it to the power ten, and you'll have the requisite expression on your face. Then flail your arms around, as if you were trying to take off and fly, while all the time loudly screaming the words "Shoo! Shoo!". Works like magic I tell you, and no one will dare to even approach within 5 feet of you.

Take even steps back while remaining at the same angle (this will take some practice) and then turn around and run like your butt was on fire. As my friend Sun Tzu often says, a strategic retreat is often the best form of offense. It works every single time.

Back to the concert. By this time I'd realized that I was up shit creek without a paddle and started belting out "Nothing else matters" like nobody's business. In between Adi launched into the solo lead and the audience spontaneously broke out into thunderous applause. It was all I could do to restrain myself from plucking the guitar out of his hands and sticking it up his..... Well we finished it with a game face. Sometime later I got to hear a recording of it. To tell you the truth, I kind of sympathised with the audience....

Well Sivaji's been released and as usual I miss the simple old days when I could go to the first days shows, scream "Thalaivaa!!!", and fling coins at the screen. Us yuppies aren't allowed to do that y'know. Its illegal under some code of the IPC that I can't recall right now. Tried to explain this to Mrudula, but her eyes started glowing the way they usually do before those laser bolts shot out of them. Beat a retreat. Sometimes even Yu Shu Kung Fu doesn't work.

I received this gem of a mail about Sivaji which i think the whole world should read:

Hurray Hurray ........ sivaji super hit....promise
hi frnds this is ***** ......i m a big rajni fan.........i stay in abudhabi .......i feel i m the 1st to say sivaji talk,.....movie is awesome......i saw the movie.......excellent movie.....dead shot hit.........the 1st one hour of the muve is slow .....interval bang is awesome which is a big treat for rajni fans ....interval block (peeri shona vundane summa adaradhilla)......plz plz fans dont get disapponted after watchin 1st one hour.........2 nd half full ultimate......climax 30min is the highlite where the movie goes to a high peak.....there is a big twist in climax.....i dont want to reveal........plzz ....movie is 100 times better than CM commercially...;........interval block resembles similar to TAGORE (chiranjeevi's muvie)..........SUPERSTAR comes with an industry hit after 3 years.........last but not the least......movie is all abt an NRI who teaches a lesson for all who dont pay tax .......THE MAIN PART OF THE MUVIE IS ALL ABT A MEDICAL COLLEGE REVENGE,......MUVIE IS A HIT....i m very happy tat i m the 1st to reveal the talk.......super star zindabad

After a good deal of research, I've ascertained that "
peeri shona vundane" is a form of greeting used in the interior districts of outer Mongolia. Please don't ask me why anyone from Abu Dhabi should use it. I'm still conducting research on that, and will share the results with you once they're in. Hope that clarifies. As for the rest of the 'muve' (or 'muvie' as the case may be), its pretty evident that its about this NRI who pays taxes to exact revenge on a medical college. Or is it a NRI who joins a medical college to help him avenge people who pay taxes? Its a Rajini movie for heavens sake, does the story line matter??!! Go watch it and enjaai I say!

They've picked a compromise candidate for the president's post. I'm very miffed that didn't offer it to me first! I shall register my strong protest by sulking throughout the weekend. besides the television is still on the blink.

Exit: the gallant Mahesh into the dull and dreary afternoon.


1 comment:

Sheetal said...

Ditch the IPC, Mahesh... let all the yuppies unite, gather all the coins they can muster, and go and yell 'Talaiva!'
oh, and nice blog :)