Thursday, June 14, 2007

Morale boosters, Masterpieces, Llamas and Naked Bike Rides

Dear Lord: The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the way it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. (pause) OK, deal. In gratitude, I present you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, give me no sign. (pause) Thy will be done. - Homer Simpson in the 'Simpsons' (obviously..DUH!)

And that being said... let us begin....

I'm in a garrulous mood today. This just might be along write. Was talking to a friend of mine who's from Bihar, who in the interests of good health shall remain anonymous. The last thing I want is a hit squad from Bihar knocking on my door. I mean, why should they travel all the way just to get beaten up by me? Anyways, in between the conversation, I couldn't resist.

Me: Did you read my blog (hopeful tone)
Him:Hum aisa serious blog nahin padte
Me: My blog? Serious?? You must be joking! ( And here I was, under the impression that I was joking on the blog)
Him: Tera blog boring hai ( I knew it! I knew it!)
Me: Ok... So tell me which ones are the interesting blogs? (Hah! got you there!)
Him: (Mentions two names)
Me: And you mean to tell me they don't write serious stuff?? I read them too man! ( You gotta be shittin me...!!)
Him: Its not a question of serious stuff. Your blog is boring. Bahut boring. (Are you a human being or a parrot fer godssake!!)
Him:
And aadhe words ka matlab hi pataa nahin mujhe. Pls use aasaan english ( Sigh... )

Came back home. Telly still on the blink and Mrudula still in a bad mood. I explained to her about the above conversation. She seemed highly amused. She told me that this 'blogging' thing is just a fad with me... Like the previous... she gave me a long list here... which I will not share with you. This is a very open conversation I'm having with you,see? But on the other hand , there is a limit to my masochism too.. Crux of the issue was that I felt like a cycle tire that had just run over a six inch nail.

After those splendid morale boosters, there was only one thing I could do. Here I am blogging again.

Talking about simple English, can't resist but mention the 'Llama song' by Burton Earny.
For those of you who haven't heard it, its available at:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php.

The sublime poetry and and the music that pulls at your heart strings combine to form an experience that is not easily forgotten. Burton has composed a commodious masterpiece whose narrative power is only matched by its generosity of vision. I was greatly disappointed when it was overlooked both for the Booker prize (for the lyrics) and the Grammy Awards (for the music). As a great wise man once said 'There's simply no accounting for people's tastes'. Just as an aside, The great wise man in question is also the author of this blog.

For those of you who are too lazy to go look it up, I could provide the lyrics of the song. But the quite a few of you might perish of a severe case of the goosebumps, and I'd be blamed for it. I have no plans of going to jail ( unless they arrest me for daring to blog- see morale boosters above). So get off your lazy butt's and go click that link above!

For some reason the Spanish also seem to be fascinated by Llamas. If you meet a person who spoke Spanish, or god forbid, were chatting with him/her on some instant messenger service (you never know), one of the questions the person would ask you, would be "Como te llamas?"

I always thought thats a real funny thing to ask. I mean, if I didn't know better my responses would range from: "No I don't herd Llamas, I just work for an IT company"
to: "No thank you, I already have three of them at home and their names are Rajagopal, Sunderrajan and Subramaniam"
to downright: "Buggerroff! You sick shit!!! I don't want to do it with any Llama!! Not even if it looks like Kareena Kapoor!!! ( Which you will admit is not very far from the truth. The Kareena bit , that is)

It apparently means "Whats your name".

The incumbent president, said a very interesting article I read today (I read the article, the incumbent president didn't say that) is very fond of animals and has a variety of them put up at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. He apparently even had an ailing Hippo from a circus treated there. No, as far as I know the hippo went back to the circus and is not currently residing at Rasthrapati Bhavan. The candidate who is most likely to succeed him, Shivraj Patil, when asked what his interests were, listed shooting and horse riding. Poor Animals. I love my country. There's humour everywhere in India.

There's humour elsewhere also. Apparently there's this event organized every year around the globe called the "World Naked Bike Ride". It consists of people doing exactly what the name says. Riding naked down the streets of cities on bikes. That's cycles in Indianese. This year too they organized it in 5 cities around the world. Its supposed to be a protest against global warming and to sensitize people to the evils of using automobiles. If it were me taking part, I'd be more worried about how to desensitize my butt. I mean, I have problems with the comfort levels accorded to my sensitive area's by a bicycle seat on a normal day! If I were nude..... But never fear, gentle reader , that is a spectacle which you will never have to contend with. This I promise you. (Is that a collective sigh of relief I hear?)


One of the participants was interviewed and the reporter asked him the obvious:
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/
REPOSITORY/706070410/1043/NEWS01

Reporter:Doesn't that get uncomfortable, you know, on a bike?
Participant: Everyone asks this question, and it's actually pretty comfortable. Believe me, I've asked every rider I meet. We all agree that as long as the bike seat is comfortable with clothes, you'll feel fine without clothes.

On that mysterious note I will bid you all goodbye. I'm sure that you too did your part to make the world a better place and if you did on a bike when you were nude.... You must be nuts!!!!!

Exit: the gallant Mahesh into the dark and dangerous night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe i first read it as "come to llamas senorita" ... n i was like huh?? wats he saying?? :P

btw, bookmarked this page .. will come by often