Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Garcia Lorca, Inferno, Motivational Memo's and Party Poopers

The weeping of the guitar

begins.

The goblets of dawn

are smashed.

The weeping of the guitar

begins.

Useless

to silence it.

Impossible

to silence it.

It weeps monotonously

as water weeps

as the wind weeps

over snowfields.

Impossible

to silence it.

It weeps for distant

things.

Hot southern sands

yearning for white camellias.

Weeps arrow without target

evening without morning

and the first dead bird

on the branch.

Oh, guitar!

Heart mortally wounded

by five swords.

- The Guitar by Federico Garcia Lorca


And that being said, let us begin.

All said and done, I think Garcia Lorca's poems are amongst the most beautiful. "Lament for the death of Ignacio Sanchez Mejias", "Gacela of Dark Death".....

Found this site that depicts all three worlds of Dante's "Divine comedy" with some brilliant images,multimedia depictions and even audio of the important stanza's in Italian. Brilliant. Bravo! Bravi! Brava!

http://danteworlds.laits.utexas.edu/index.html

The damn woman didn't send anyone to repair the cursed telly. I knew it! Sometimes an acerbic wit can be a treacherous companion.... sigh....

Useful Latin phrases :

Vini, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Vini, Vidi, Visa - I came, I saw, I bought it
Sic friatur crustulum - Thus, the cookie crumbles
Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards wear you down

Broke out my last can of beer. Mrudula asked me not to drink cold beer ("Any need to screw up your throat up further, with that throat infection of yours??!!" ). Beer can slipped and fell down after third swig. Mrudula was happy. I was unhappy. Had to mop up the beer, to add to it all. There is a point in crying over spilt beer.

Read Lucy Kellaway in the Financial Times. My favorite columnist. The lady doesn't mince words and thats an understatement.... The latest edition talks about motivational memo's. "
Given that this is a wretched literary genre in which almost every example is lamentable, to find the very worst is a tall order. Yet last week the Financial Times published what seemed a sublimely bad memo written by a Royal Dutch Shell manager and asked readers if this could deserve the title." she says.

Excerpts: "
To prove my point, I’m comparing it with another leaked e-mail I received last week. This one was written by Jim Quigley, the new global chief executive of Deloitte, and dispatched to all staff on his first day in the new job."

"
Now consider the style of the Deloitte memo. “Our identity reinforces the shared vision of our member firms,” it says. This is so profoundly meaningless that I doubt if its author could tell me what he meant by it."

"Over at Deloitte, matters are rather more intangible. “As our brand strengthens, the commitment we have to each other also increases,” Quigley says, mysteriously."

"By contrast, here is another helping of mush from Deloitte. “We will take our performance to the next level, provided we move forward collaboratively, as a team.” Quigley doesn’t sound as if he means it. He sounds as if he’s had a partial lobotomy."

Hoooo Boy!!!! Thats really putting their patron saint in place. Could you get more abrasive than that? I dare you.

Caught up with an old friend of mine. He was on his way back from a party when I called him. His little kid having deigned to poop after a suspense filled four day interlude, hence the party. I may have to reconsider having kids. These party poopers do start early, wot?








No comments: